Sunday, October 3, 2010

Autumn and an Acorn Squash












Three days deep in October and I have already started thinking about Thanksgiving. Granted, it's over a month away but there is something about chilly autumn air and the sight of falling leaves that transports me immediately to turkey time. Ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove have all been given a front row seat in the spice rack. The bold flavors of the season infiltrate my mind as I create, test and hone my holiday recipes. First up in the testing queue: acorn squash with cinnamon grits. Sweet and nutty on it's own, I decided to keep the squash relatively simple. Halved and deseeded, it received a healthy coating of butter and brown sugar. Twenty minutes in a 400° oven and the gorgeous edible shell was ready to be filled with grits. Brown sugar, cinnamon, fresh ginger, and cream cheese transformed the classic southern side dish into a sweet, spicy delight that paired perfectly with the roasted squash. Finished with salty fried onion strings, each bite was a slice of autumnal perfection. Test number one: approved and filed. Now, what to do with those squash seeds?...

1 comment:

  1. Looks absolutely delectable! Hmm...fine question on what to do with the seeds. Can one crisp them up for a crunchy snack, much like pumpkin seeds? :-P Blog looks great, BTW. I've just started my own @ www.okiedokieartichokie.me I have a ways to go still. :-)

    - Steph

    ReplyDelete