Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tomato Tart












It's official. I have tomato fever. While I spent the first 33 years of my life detesting the little red globes, I now have an absolute obsession with them. I dream of the yellow teardrops and hearty heirloom varieties of summer. I anxiously anticipate eating them right off the vine.
As I adjust my scarf and look out the window, I remember that it is just barely spring and I will have to make do with the store bought cherry tomatoes that have sustained me through a long winter. One of my favorite ways to prepare these little beauties is to make a quick and easy tomato tart. Press a store bought pie crust (or homemade if you are so inclined) into a tart pan and sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesano reggiano. After slicing the tiny tomatoes in half and tossing them in olive oil and salt, place them into the shell. Next, saute thinly sliced onions in some butter and balsamic vinegar just until the onions soften. Scatter the onions around the tart and top with freshly chopped garlic and basil leaves. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. The wonderful aroma of garlic and basil will fill your kitchen and temp even those who may be enjoying a leisurely nap on the couch. Lunch is served!

1 comment: