Saturday, February 5, 2011

Defining Style











An amuse bouche is supposed to sum up a chef's approach to cooking in one bite. While I am not a chef, I have been trying to define my culinary voice. Perhaps it's my looming 35th birthday or maybe it's just a hitch in my creative giddy up, but defining my style has been daunting. Is my approach whimsical? Is it sophisticated? Is it somewhere in between? Who knows... it seems to be a moving target. As a result, I am going back to basics. An homage to humble flavors, I offer this simple salad on a stick. Crisp bitter lettuce, spicy paper thin radishes, and a sweet cherry tomato combine to make a one bite wonder. Served directly on a knife, this presentation demands attention and articulates that simple doesn't mean without style.

1 comment: