Sunday, July 4, 2010

Kiss My Grits

Granted, I currently live in the Midwest but my soul definitely resides in the Carolinas. I love sweet tea, grits, biscuits, and all other southern delicacies. The recipes are steeped in tradition and once you get a taste of that deep rooted soul food, you never forget it. My recent vacation back to the Carolinas left me with a hankering for grits that just wouldn't leave me alone. Yes, they are delicious as a side note to eggs and bacon but I wanted to do something different with them.... a little south of the border meets south of the Mason Dixon line, if you will. I started with beautiful Anaheim peppers. Slit up the middle and cleaned of their seeds, they served as the perfect vessel to hold grits on the grill. I prepared the grits with salt and pepper and a healthy dose of queso fresco, a traditional Mexican cheese. Each pepper was stuffed with grits and tied closed with a bit of kitchen twine. I slow roasted the peppers over charcoal which softened the flesh and allowed the natural juices to infuse into the grits. Smokey, peppery, cheesy grits bulged from the slit in each pepper. Once there was a nice char on the bottom, I removed them from the fire and cut off the kitchen twine. I rounded out the deep, rich flavor of the Anaheims by serving them with a fresh peach salsa on the side. Now where did I put my glass of sweet tea?....

1 comment:

  1. See...now I'm all relaxed and calmed by your post:) But, I'm craving grits....

    ReplyDelete