Wednesday, June 27, 2012

2 Peas in a Pod


Shelling peas is usually a chore, but when you're spending quality time with your mom, drinking coffee and discussing life while you work, the task is much more enjoyable.  That is exactly how I spent my Sunday afternoon... just me and my mom, plucking peas from their pods, basking in the beautiful weather. Time was passing without so much as a hint. After we finally reached the bottom of the bowl, it was time for some instant gratification for our efforts. I had a container of leftover quinoa, a bag of radishes from a friend's garden, and a few lonely lemons leftover from work.  I tossed the fresh peas and sliced radishes in a bowl with a drizzle of balsamic, a squeeze of lemon, and a healthy dose of zest.  A tiny kiss of sea salt and a few chopped almonds completed the dish and it was gone as quickly as it came together. Simple yet delicious. We spent the rest of the day enjoying each other's company, relaxing in the sun, and talking up a storm... just two peas in a pod.  Love you, Momma.  This one's for you.



3 comments:

  1. The utter bliss of simplicity....it's SOOO much more difficult than some insane 40-page recipe/concoction. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to run out and grab some peas! Best bet will be to wait for one of our many farmer's markets this weekend.

    Hope your doing well, Em. You've been on my mind a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, enjoyed shelling peas and spending time with one of my favorite cooks!!!

    ReplyDelete