Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tale of the Lonesome Red Stripe


I had been staring at that last lonely beer in the bottom right corner of my fridge for two weeks.  I didn't put it there, I didn't drink the others, and yet it taunted me. The crinkled cardboard six pack held only the memory of it's previous occupants.  Number six was alone, pathetic, and sad.  Nestled next to a bag of limp carrots and two onions, he yearned to be put out of his misery and I was the only one capable of accommodating.  So that's exactly what I did.  Unfortunately, drinking beer does not agree with me but with the addition of salt, flour, baking powder, and sugar the lonesome Red Stripe was transformed.  Like the ugly duckling that became a beautiful swan, that sorry little straggler from the six pack finally got his day in the sun.... and by sun, I mean oven.   

Homemade Beer  Bread
3 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Red Stripe (11.2 oz)
2 Tbsp water (omit if you use a 12 oz beer)
2 Tbsp melted butter to brush on top

Using a fork or whisk, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add beer and water to dry ingredients and fold together gently to combine.  Pour batter into a greased dutch oven and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  Brush with butter and place back in the oven for 4-5 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum...I love Beer Bread, send some this way!!!

    ReplyDelete