Sunday, March 25, 2012

Accidentally Eggless











I literally woke up thinking about peanut butter french toast this morning. It's as if it came to me in a dream, and I knew as soon as my eyes popped open that I was making a beeline to the kitchen. I could taste what I was about to create... that crunchy outer layer filled with gooey, delicious peanut butter, dunked in a blueberry sauce. I started the water for my coffee and began gathering the necessary ingredients. I grabbed the bread, the peanut butter, some cinnamon, and a bottle of vanilla. All I needed now was an egg, one little egg... that I didn't have! Oh no, now what?! I pushed the plunger on my french press and poured myself a cup of coffee. I took stock of the items on my counter and began to formulate a plan. I certainly wasn't going to give up just because we were out of eggs. What I managed to come up with was quite scrumptious, if I do say so myself. I started by layering peanut butter between two pieces of whole grain bread. Then I coated each side of the sandwich in a batter made of almond milk, coconut oil, whole wheat flour, chickpea flour, and a little sugar and spice to round it out. I toasted both sides in a skillet and cut the sandwich into sticks. For the sauce, I whipped together a few spoonfuls of blueberry syrup and vanilla yogurt and got to dunking! Mmmm, mmmm. Who needs eggs, anyway?!


Batter for french toast:
1/2 C almond milk
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp chickpea flour
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp ground almonds
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together to form batter, thoroughly coat each piece of bread and cook on medium heat until golden brown on each side

Blueberry Yogurt Sauce:
equal parts blueberry syrup and vanilla yogurt

1 comment:

  1. Don't know how you do it week after week, but I love all your yummy ideas!!! Who knew, French toast without eggs!

    ReplyDelete