Sunday, April 10, 2011

Be The Phoenix











Let me be honest. Today's recipe started out as a tangerine curd pocket pie in a cornmeal crust but since the curd ended up as a scrambled mess, I thought it best to proceed with plan B - a savory chard pocket pie. I tested the crust and found that it was a success in taste, but the texture was too "cookie-like" to create a pocket. Shot down again, but not one to be defeated, I pressed on. The open-faced crust was a delicious component worth exploring, so I sauteed red onion, swiss chard, garlic and cider vinegar and perched the punchy mixture on top. Blanketed in fresh mozzarella and baked until golden brown, it turned out to be a delightful snack. It was a far cry from the sweet pastry I set out to make, but sometimes you crash and burn. Rising from the ashes... that's what it's really about.

3 comments:

  1. As usual a very interesting Sunday Blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos came out beautiful, and I'm glad to hear you were able to reinvent your scrambled curd into something else that looks and sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so beautiful and delicious Emily! Loving your blog and looking forward to future posts :)
    http://www.cookskinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete