Sunday, April 11, 2010

Apple Jicama Salad

Let the battle begin. Spring has sprung and that means bathing suit season is right around the corner. Uh oh... the heavy doses of cheesy polenta that sustained me through the winter have packed on a few extra pounds so it's time to get in shape! I need to dial up the workout and pay closer attention to what I eat. No more heavy comfort food or thick stews, lighter fare is in order. Fresh veggies will soon arrive in my garden and green salads will abound. Until then, I am at the mercy of the local produce department and today they did not disappoint. Red apples, jicama, celery, and cilantro combined to make a wonderfully crunchy salad that was sweet, flavorful and satisfying. I added spicy almonds that were toasted and tossed in smoked paprika, salt and cayenne pepper. A squeeze of lemon and a spritz of balsamic vinaigrette and the dish was complete. Ok, bikini... game on!! We'll see who has the last laugh.

3 comments:

  1. I love jicama... and apples. How come I never thought of this combination, it sounds perfect! Great idea :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combination of jicama and apple. Your photos are so vibrant and amazing. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive feedback! :) Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete